I did take a little break from binding this week to make some Spool blocks. I pulled strips from my 1 1/2" strip bin and got the components cut early in the week.
It didn't take much time at all to stitch up the blocks using speed piecing.
Now I have an even 300 blocks for my RSC Spoolin' Around quilt top. I don't know when I'll actually get around to piecing all the blocks together, but they're ready and waiting.
I actually finished this Bind-A-Thon entry a week or so ago, but didn't have an opportunity for photography until today.
I started making the 16-patch blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt sometime in 2014. The 16-patches morphed into Scrap Jar Star blocks, and the entire quilt was finally finished this year.
I really enjoyed this pattern - what a fun way to use up lots of scrappy parts and pieces! My only regret was that I ran out of the background fabric (I was working from my stash) and didn't have enough to add a final, outer border. It would've stabilized the edges of the quilt and added a little extra width & length.
As usual, my LAQ Cindy Braiwick, did a fantastic job with the quilting! I suggested something with circles, and this is what she came up with. The heart-shaped flowers line up with the 16-patch blocks and the circles fall into line in the sashing and cornerstones.
It's difficult to see the binding, but the fabric looks like it has water droplets on it. I've washed and dried it so it's nice and soft, but even with color catchers, I see a little bit of red bled through from one of the red scraps on the front. This is going to my mom - she has several quilts I've made for her, but all of them are hanging on the wall. I wanted to give her something she could wrap up in and think of me!
I'm writing this on Friday, anticipating lots of activity tomorrow - the RSC link-up AND Christmas Eve! Wishing everyone happiness and plenty of time with family and friends as we all enjoy this special time of year!