Folks, the bind-a-thon continues, but I took a break today to play with some spool blocks. After seeing Kathy's wonderful top, I was inspired to dig out my spool blocks.
I used Bonnie Hunter's Spoolin' Around block in 2013 as a leader-ender project. I didn't plan or color-coordinate anything, just tried to use up small scraps. I finished up 270 blocks. Not sure why I stopped, but I could use more yellow, aqua and brown blocks to make an even 300.
Since the blocks are so random, I think I'll use a random layout for them. And I'll definitely set them on point, even though the assembly is a little more time consuming. These are only 3 inch blocks, so the quilt top won't be huge - once I get it assembled I can decide if more blocks or some borders are needed.
The bind-a-thon has not made much progress in the past two weeks. I needed to finish the Scrap Jar Star binding so I could give the quilt to my mom in person last week. I didn't finish the binding before leaving for Florida and I didn't have many opportunities to work on it while visiting family. It came back home with me and I'll have to ship it to her when it's finished.
I did finish binding the memory quilts I made for my nieces.
My local long-arm quilter, Cindy Braiwick, did a fantastic job with the quilting.
I especially love how she quilted the gold borders. The girls loved their quilts and immediately wrapped up in them, even if it was a balmy 75 degrees outside!
I'm linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge one more time this year, as the spool blocks were inspired by the RSC. And now I'm done spoolin' around - it's time to get back to binding!