New Orleans House Project

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Seeing Orange Stars

It has been a slow sewing week.  With more hours of daylight in the evening and warmer weather, it's been hard to resist the call to be outdoors - even if that means doing work in the yard!  We did a lot of pruning and cleaning up last weekend, but still had to deal with smaller jobs during the evening this week.  We love this time of year because it's great to be outdoors without the bugs, heat and humidity of summer!

I did work on some Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects, finishing the alternate white blocks in my 9 patch variation pattern.  At the end of the year I'll have 16 blocks in each color.  I'm not sure if the final version will be color blocked or have some other layout.  I'll figure that out later!

I also pieced a few orange Sawtooth Stars.  Since Angela mentioned monarch butterflies as this month's color inspiration, I pulled some scraps of monarch fabric I used for a quilt back several years ago. 

I also pulled some cheddar scraps in preparation for making a Scrap Jar Star block this week.  

I'm heading out for the Gulf States Quilting Association show when I finish this - can't wait to see what inspiration I will find there!

More orange inspiration can be found at this week's Rainbow Scrap Challenge link-up.

 

24 comments:

  1. You are going to have a lot of happy blocks by the end of the month! I love all your orange variations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I did those 9 patches in a quilt, I think it was RSC14. it's one of my favorite quilts! and your monarch sawtooth star is PERFECT! love it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your 9-patches (and now wish I'd done those instead of 16-patches). *sigh* Great blocks once again! Enjoy the show and share some pictures with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange, cheddar....I love these colours and yours are so sweet ! Great blocks !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! When Angela gave us the inspiration of the Monarch butterfly, I didn't think to take it literally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a WONDERFUL selection of ORANGE fabrics!! Have FUN with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great color in the blocks. I think this will be an awesome quilt when done. Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that butterfly star! Gorgeousness+!
    I love all your orange pretties, including that stack of cheddars. Mmmm... cheddar...
    Have fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scrap jar star fabrics are fabulous. Love the stars and the 9 patches -- beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fortunate to have a monarch for this month's blocks! Have fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful orange scraps. The monarch star is perfect for this month. Great nine patch. Enjoy the show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum...cheddar. I love the monarch star. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blocks, Angie! All of your oranges are so bright and beautiful! I have that same butterfly fabric! Actually, I have 4 shelves of Butterfly fabric!!
    Hope you had fun at the quilt show. I think the last time I went to that one was 6 yrs ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who doesn't love orange, especially cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such pretty hues you have in your fabrics. Now I want some cheddar cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some lovely fabrics and cheddar is a great idea. Wish I had some, but I've never done repro, just collect antique quilts. Have fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic blocks! Can't wait to see how you set them in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that monarch fabric! So perfect for this month! Your 9 patch variation blocks are some of my favorites. They are going to make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful oranges here, your nine patch blocks look so good with the alternating light/dark.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Orange can be a hard color to work with, I think. Your RSC blocks are very nice...no challenge for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've said it before and it's still true, I do love a good orange! The monarch fabric is fantastic, I love that you included that. Hope you have fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of beautiful orange fabrics in your blocks. I really like those stars!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your oranges are so amazing - they make you think of spring too! Enjoy your yardwork ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you make orange look amazing! love the butterfly fabric

    ReplyDelete