New Orleans House Project

Saturday, July 25, 2015

RSC 15: Taming the Scraps in Red, White & Blue

I already finished my red scrappy projects for the month, so this week I went digging through the drawers and baskets full of WIPs, looking for a red project that needed attention.  I found a large collection of red, white and blue scraps that had been languishing since I made a Twister quilt several years ago.  I've been wanting to make a RWB Scrap Jar Star quilt, so I spent some time today taming scraps and getting ready for another SJS project.

These scrappy left-overs from a Twister quilt have bias edges on the outside, so I had to do some fancy slicing and dicing to get strips and squares on the straight of grain. 

I cut 2" squares in the RWB fabrics plus white, so I can get started on the 16 patch centers of the Scrap Jar Stars.  I also wound up with a stack of 1.5" strips and squares that will find their way into another project some day.  As you can see, I've still got a lot of RWB scraps, plus some untouched fat quarters.  I should be able to complete the quilt top using just scraps, but I'll hang on to the FQs just in case! 

I haven't had time yet to look at all the other scrappy stitching taking place at Angela's Soscrappy blog today.  I believe I will make myself a large glass of sweet tea and go see what all the other RSC quilters have been up to this week!




14 comments:

  1. You always make very pretty scrap jar blocks. I am sure these red, white, and blues will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pieced a RWB doll quilt this month. Must be something in the air, eh?
    Looking forward to seeing your scrappy stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just missed the 4th! Maybe a goal is to have it finished by the next 4th of July and say RSC15 got you started? A fun collection of fabrics you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. twisters are fun to make but the waste! great that you salvaged the scraps so well Angie. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice mix of reds, whites and blues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red white and blue scraps are going to make a great quilt. Good job on taming the scraps. Especially with all the bias edges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your collection of RWB scraps will make beautiful stars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great fabrics to make into some scrap jars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing how great you feel once some of the scraps are tamed! The RWB will make a wonderful scrap jar star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't it always confuse you that you can use up so many scraps and there are still more? I wonder how that's possible? I guess it's just one of the mysteries of the quilting universe. LOL
    These stars are going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great plan for the leftover RWB prints! Noting that down for my piecing bucket list...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your scrap jar blocks. Great RWB prints. Think I'll put a few RWB quilts on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not familiar with Scrap jar stars - I must have missed something!!! Lol Looking forward to following your quilt.

    ReplyDelete