New Orleans House Project

Saturday, March 7, 2015

RSC 15: Inspired by Yellow

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for March is yellow - hurray! Indicative of sunshine, the color yellow is a perfect inspiration for these last dreary days of winter!
I had a ready stash of 2 1/2 inch strips and squares, so making some 9 patch blocks went quickly.  I need 4 more blocks to meet my monthly goal, but I want to make some new yellow scraps before I assemble more blocks.

The 9 patch blocks are going to make a fun quilt, but they're kind of boring to blog about every week.  The yellow scraps were calling out to me for more creative playtime, so I decided to try a block that has been on my quilting bucket list for a few years.
Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns identifies this block as Sugar Bowl.  How could I not want to make this block?  Louisiana is one of the largest producers of sugarcane and refined sugar in the United States.  Etienne de Bore', a planter of French descent, developed the first method for refining granulated sugar at his plantation which is now the site of New Orleans' Audubon Park.  And every New Year's Day for the past 75 years New Orleans has hosted the Sugar Bowl, a college football championship game.

The block was simple enough to construct using 2 1/2 inch strips, 4 1/2 inch strips and the Easy Angle ruler.  It can be made in a variety of sizes, but I chose an 8 inch finished block.  Now I need to decide if I want to keep making these in the RSC monthly colors (reminiscent of Depression glass?) or make some more yellow examples and maybe add some appliqued flowers to herald Spring?  

While I'm thinking about that, I'll be over at Angela's Soscrappy blog, enjoying more sunny yellow inspiration!
 

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful blocks. Like daffodils poking up threw the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blocks. Isn't it great that the color is so warm while it is still winter outside?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty blocks--that sugar bowl is lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are bright and sunny. Very pretty. On Monday I am headed your direction. We are going to Marrero where my son lives. Please have warm sunshine weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an appropriate block to make. Sugar bowl is lovely in yellow. What a great collection of yellow scraps in your 9 patches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fitting block to make. You know.... you could always do both! Such pretty and cheerful yellows to play with this month. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blocks. I love the cheerful yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such great yellows and used them so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that sugar bowl block! (great background info, too)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such happy yellows. The sugar bowl block would make a great rainbow quilt. So many projects. Good thing there are plenty of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yellow blocks are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty blocks! We could all definitely use some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of pretty yellows in your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like these blocks - love the sugar bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy making this block too. I find it helpful to make them in pairs; it uses all the triangles that end up being cut.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, make more Depression glass sugar bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful sunny yellow blocks : )

    ReplyDelete