New Orleans House Project

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday: Red Scraps in the Sunset

It was a very long work week (I drove over 600 miles!) and I was delighted to have a rainy Saturday of fabric therapy.  First and foremost was playing with red scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
I stitched up two red Maverick Stars to go in the stack of RSC stars.  The RSC sampler block for this week was also a Maverick Star, so I made a third star and kept the fabrics dark.
Once the stars were completed, I cut all the HST units for my red Carpenter's Wheel block.  I use 2.5" strips and the Easy Angle ruler to cut the the units.   Sticky notes and binder clips help me keep the cut fabrics organized until I can stitch them together. 
I've got a new leader-ender project going alongside all the red scrappy activities.  These 9 patch blocks are for a swap organized by Barb of Fun with Barb.  She shared a very handy technique for making 9 patches and fired up an enthusiastic group of quilters to participate in two different block swaps.  The swaps are full/closed, but if you want to look at all the blocks being created, check out the group's Facebook page.

I haven't checked out today's Rainbow Scrap link-up, so I think I'll make a cup of tea and go enjoy some scrappy red inspiration!



7 comments:

  1. I had never seen nine patches made that way. Your maverick stars are tempting me to try them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty red blocks. I love the colors in the 9 patch blocks. I am going to check the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rainy Saturday to sew sounds like a nice change from all that driving. Great looking reds. Looking forward to seeing the carpenter star next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maverick stars ar eon my very long list of to do quilts, I love your reds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the crisp look of your Maverick Stars, and your organization technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I use the binding clips to hold my prepped hexagons together. They sure do come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little Maverick Stars that just pop out of the white background. Thanks for sharing that interesting tutorial for nine patches.

    ReplyDelete