New Orleans House Project

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday: Red Rolls On

A few more days and our red creative playtime for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge will be over.  I'm not quite caught up with the Rainbow Sampler blocks and I still need to finish piecing this month's red Carpenter Star, but I think I can accomplish all that before the end of the week.  After playing with red fabric all month, I've decided a red and white quilt should be added to my Some Day list!
Elderly red scraps were used to assemble the RSC Sampler block called "Flock".
I grabbed these scraps to use for the sampler block Big Dipper, but realized too late I didn't have a Companion Angle ruler at the camp.  Instead, I made the Jewel Box block.  It's a little busy, but I think I like it!
Angela has made quite a batch of these little ear bud cases over the past few weeks.  I've had the pattern saved on Pinterest forever, so I decided it was time to make one, too.  I packed the materials needed and printed the pattern before leaving for the camp last night.  As luck would have it, I actually had a red zipper in my stash.
This is a fun pattern and easy to make!  I did it all on my vintage treadle sewing machine, which does not sew in reverse.  It worked OK, but it would've been easier to do some of the steps on a machine that could sew in reverse!  If I make the pattern again, I'll also use fusible batting as it would help keep the layers from shifting during sewing.  Like my turquoise ear buds?  I bought them cheap at Tuesday Morning 'cuz I go through ear buds on a regular basis.  These look good, but the sound quality is pretty bad!

I haven't checked out today's linky post at Angela's blog, so I'm heading over there next to see what all the other Rainbow Scrappers have been playing with this week!
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Love your earbud case -- in red! Two RSC blocks done as well -- great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That jewel box block is sure versatile. I thought Angela's block looked so good because of the black and red's strong contrast, but I really like your "busy" block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the red. Still a few more days before the end of the month to play with red... thank goodness! Love your little case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little ear bud cases are so cute. The flock is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the Jewel Box block you made. And that little earbud pouch is on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE the ear bud case! so cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made the ear bud case for someone else, I need to make one for myself since one of cats chewed through my ear buds. I usually use my electric for making stuff like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not ready to say goodbye to RED yet either! I haven't done Hootie yet - maybe that will be on the agenda for tomorrow :) I should definitely make one of those little zipper cases even if I didn't put earbuds in it - it would be so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute red blocks. Love your ear bud case!

    ReplyDelete