New Orleans House Project

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wrapping Up Grandmother's Choice

I have been trying to finish up all of the blocks from Barbara Brackman's Grandmother's Choice BOW.

Block #46, Barrister's Block, was straightforward machine piecing.  I like the look of this block; I can see it in a completely scrappy version - good way to use up scraps!

Block #47, Heroine's Crown.  Another favorite block!  I opted to use the fusible applique technique with this block, as I wanted to finish more quickly than hand applique would allow.  Instead of machine blanket-stitching around the fused shapes, I decided to do the blanket stitching by hand.  Maybe I didn't really save any time, but doing some Slow Sunday Stitching today may wrap things up!

Block #48, Fair Play.  Completely hand-pieced this one. 

Block #49.  An Arc:  Bending Toward Justice.  Also hand-pieced.  I don't care much for the design of this block, but I thought the sentiment was a perfect conclusion to the series of history lessons on women's suffrage.  The block symbolizes a quote from Martin Luther King:  "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Once I finished block 49, I had to circle back to a block from early in the series that I had not completed.  Block #4, Kansas Sunflower, was a nod to early suffragettes from Kansas.  I also hand-pieced this block, and although a little wonky, it came out better than I had any right to expect as I was rather cavalier about making my original templates.  If I were to make the block again, I'd definitely use freezer paper templates for greater accuracy.

At this point, I'm going to lay my Grandmother's Choice blocks aside and contemplate how I want to assemble the blocks.  I need to focus on some other projects and come back to these with a fresh perspective.

I'm linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching today as I put the finishing touches on Heroine's Crown.  Hope you'll stop by there and see what other hand-stitching fun is underway!





6 comments:

  1. We are at the same stage here and I loved seeing your blocks and reading about your reflections on each one. I'm right behind you!
    Thanks for linking up Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are looking fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work you have done there--I especially like Nos 46 and 47--not only the colorways but the blocks themselves....really nice...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an awesome job with these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Beautiful! I love how they all came out. Congrats on getting all the blocks done. Now to put them together........

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done a beautiful job on these blocks Angie! Your hand-pieced Kansas Sunflower is particularly impressive :*)

    ReplyDelete