New Orleans House Project

Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Different Kind of Hand Sewing

One of my priority projects for this weekend was to work on hand-piecing the Sunflower block for Barbara Brackman's Grandmother's Choice BOW.  I picked my fabrics and had my templates ready for some fussy cutting.  But as I played with the fabrics I realized my choices just weren't working.  No problem - I moved on to piecing two other Grandmother's Choice blocks.

The two blocks I needed to make had already been cut for machine piecing, but in the spirit of hand sewing, I got out my trusty Singer Model 99 hand crank.  I've bragged about this machine before - it's hard to beat a hand crank sewing machine for piecing accuracy.

Easy peasy - the New Jersey block was done - and had nice accurate points.

Next up:  Aunt Eliza's Star.  Very happy with the result here!

OK, it's taken me way too long to finish this entry.  I'm watching the Saints on Sunday Night Football (it's kind of a special game tonight!) and have every intention of working on the binding on this quilt.  Since I've had a day of hand sewing, I'll link up to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching to share some hand stitching inspiration.  

Go Saints!
Addendum:  Saints win and I finished binding the quilt - I'm a happy camper!