New Orleans House Project

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Because It's Carnival Time

 No stitching taking place here - I hope that will soon be remedied!

Our home repair projects got finished up early this week, but then I spent several days cleaning up the mess!  I thought the contractors used drop cloths and other protective gear, but there was still paint spatter and drywall dust everywhere.  And furniture to be moved back in place, etc.

Since it's almost Mardi Gras, the boys are both back home to enjoy the festivities.  So in  addition to cleaning and organizing, there was cooking to be done.  Gotta have some of the family favorites on hand to share with the kids!

Making the gumbo

 

Once the house was all put back together, I got the Mardi Gras quilts out for display.


"Beautiful Crescent" was finished last year


Mardi Gras Memories was finished earlier this year.  I finally took it outside for some pictures this week.  The final quilt measures 60" x 72".


I love the scrappy exuberance of all those purple, green, and gold fabrics!

 

The Mardi Gras Memories pattern was written by Diane Knott, so I asked her to do the long-arm quilting as well.  

 

 

My local quilt shop had the perfect backing fabric - a Fabric Finders Mardi Gras print.

 


I made a printed label so I could use a fun font for the quilt name.  It's a quick way to make a label, especially if there's a lot of info you want to include.  Just iron your label fabric to a sheet of freezer paper.  You can cut the paper to size or use pre-cut paper.  Design the label in a word processing program and print the label using a dot-matrix OR laser printer.  Note: some sources say not to feed fabric through a laser printer, but I've done it plenty of times with no problems.  

Time for another cup of coffee and maybe (finally!) some stitching time!