New Orleans House Project

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Rewind

Sadly, I don't have a lot of quilt making progress to report this week.  Dear Hubby and I are trying to wrangle some home remodeling projects, and that's cutting into my quilting time.  Last week was also the Gulf States Quilting Association quarterly meeting, and I was very involved in arrangements for that (I did get to meet a blog reader and fellow GSQA member - Hi Suzanne!).


Despite the distractions, I did make a start on adding sashing to the Antique Tile blocks.  The next step is to add the remaining white sashing, plus cornerstones in rainbow colors.  I have all the pieces cut, I just need to stitch everything together.  I'm debating what fabric to use for the side and end triangles.  With the white sashing, I may need to use something with a little contrast or the blocks will just be floating in a sea of white.

 

I did a little bag sewing prior to the holidays.  

I love the Lola Pouch pattern because it's easy to assemble and the finished bag is roomy enough for all kinds of stitching essentials.  I made two of them as Christmas gifts for quilting friends, but forgot to take pictures.  These flamingo bags will eventually go to my sisters.  

 

Dear Hubby made two of these wooden chests as good-bye gifts for co-workers. This is one he made for me many years ago - it still lives in my sewing room is handy for storing all sorts of paraphernalia.
 


He asked me to come up with a way to gift wrap the chests, so I made drawstring bags from some Christmas fabric in my stash.

 

An aside:  Dear Hubby retired at the end of December, after 40-something years in practice.  When he was cleaning out his desk, he came across this picture from the early days (no, I'm not in the picture).  The mustache is long gone, but he still looks the same! 😉

 


Back in August, I took a class at my LQS (Mes Amis Quilt Shop) and came home with a Mondo Bag.  

What is a Mondo Bag?  It's a large, quilted tote bag, made with a fusible foundation that holds the fabric squares in place prior to stitching.  It's a fun way to use fabrics from jelly rolls, charm packs, or mini charm packs.  


I had so much fun making the first Mondo, I made another.  I used one jelly roll (Terrain by Kate Spain) for the two bags, plus yardage for the lining.  

I have another Mondo fusible sheet waiting for inspiration.  I've been envisioning a bag made with toile fabrics from my stash!