New Orleans House Project

Friday, August 6, 2021

Back in the String of Things!

 We spent some time at our camp last weekend, and during an afternoon thunderstorm I pulled out some denim strips I had started stitching for a utility quilt. 
The plan was to make a Rail Fence quilt using fabric from cut-up jeans.  
I'm pretty sure the project has been untouched since last August!

Even though I enjoyed the mindless sewing therapy, I was pretty bored with the lack of fabric variation.  I decided it was time to bring a new string-piecing project to the camp to alternate with stitching up the denim Rail Fence blocks.

After making the flamingo hexagon quilt (Flamboyant Flamingos), I had plenty of pink and green fabric scraps.  
A lot of the fabric was in pretty hole-y condition, thanks to fussy-cutting.  I thought a pink and green string quilt might be a good way to use up the leftovers.

My first thought was to make quarter Log Cabin blocks.  I wasn't crazy about the light pink centers, but the dark pink centers had some pizzaz!

I wasn't sure my scrap supply had the right variety of fabrics for successful Log Cabin blocks though.  Maybe I needed to do something more random.

Maybe some string-y diamonds will do the trick?

I still haven't decided for sure, but I've got a bunch of paper diamonds cut, and a box full of pink and green strings.  I’m looking forward to stitching up some pink and green along with the denim!