New Orleans House Project

Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Dark Side of Burgoyne

This week's Rainbow Scrap project was to make some Burgoyne Surrounded blocks using dark scraps.  I started with scraps, but added fabrics from the stash to make everything work.  

The monarch butterfly and black fabrics were scraps, but the other two fabrics came from the stash.  I'm always happy to cut up stash and make more scraps!

The starting point for this Burgoyne was the brown floral fabric.  The scraps have been in my stash for years.  I love the print, but it's kind of a strange shade of brown and not easy to pair with other fabrics.  I was tickled to find other fabrics in my stash that pulled the block together.

After I assembled the block, I wasn't super happy with the red and cream print.  I thought it kind of overwhelmed the block.  I wondered if tea dyeing might help calm the red and cream fabric down a little.

I brewed up a small amount of strong black tea and did some experimenting.  Once I was happy with the process, I used a small paintbrush to apply the tea just were I wanted it.  I wasn't worried if the result looked a little streaky, I thought that just added to the effect I was looking for.  When the fabric was dry, I set the color using a hot iron.  I think the block looks much happier!

After stitching up a few 4-patches for the Parts Department, I'm done with my brown and black scraps.  Now I can turn my attention to finishing a few things here and there - if I can avoid starting any new projects along the way!




17 comments:

  1. Great idea to Tea dye some of your block. I thought it looked good in its original state but I agree, the tea treatment has really worked! Two great Burgoyne blocks and some 4 patches too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look really great. I think this is such a challenging pattern. I've only made it once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Burgoyne blocks! The tea dying did tone down that print just enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blocks ! And it's a beautiful combo with all the fabrics you used !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Burgoyne blocks are stellar! The monarch one is so perfect. And the tea-dyeing sure did the trick with the second - great idea! You’ve inspired me to try to do something with my remaining dark scraps, which are way too plentiful. Even basic 4-patches are a good solution. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love your Burgoynes! (I may have to revisit my decision that I have "enough"...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dye work on the second block. Amazing that a bit of tea can change the whole tone of the block and really highlight the brown floral print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your colors on the Burg. Sur. quilt blocks...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blocks. Interesting how you tea dyed that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made quick work of your BROWN and BLACK scraps! Best of luck on the finishing front.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're right: the tea dying was just the trick. and yay, you for a RSC project with a bajillion tiny pieces! looking great...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I very much like the your black and white outer background in the first block and wonder if you're planning to alternate darker and lighter sections from block to block. Very clever of you to tea dye with a paintbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tea did a good job softening the contrast. Great new blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing these blocks--I need to start some Burgoyne's of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big fan of greys, but, that top block is great! It all pops!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That tea dye really made an impact! Love the monarch butterfly's. Good luck on not starting a new project.... there is that BH mystery coming up next Friday =)

    ReplyDelete