New Orleans House Project

Sunday, October 8, 2017

This Week in Fabric Therapy

My sewing room has been in need of some serious re-organizing for several months.  All the flat surfaces were so piled with fabric and projects and storage containers there was barely room to do any work.  I started to tackle the mess last weekend, and have at least made some progress in tidying up a few areas.

One of the main things I wanted to do was get this Spring Clean* string quilt project set up in an organized fashion, so I could whip out a string-pieced block whenever I had a small window of stitching time.  Now I've got baskets and bags of light and dark strings, plus a stack of ready-cut foundation squares.  This quilt requires 144 string-pieced blocks (I'm almost halfway there), so I need to stay focused if I'm ever going to finish it!

I started this Pumpkin Table Mat (Primitive Gatherings) several years ago in a class at The Quilted Owl.  I finished everything but the embroidered embellishments.  I found the storage container when I was re-organizing the sewing room.  I realized this might be my only taste of Fall this year, so I decided to get the embroidery finished and enjoy it.  I've been using a white chalk pencil to help with the stitching lines - I just haven't brushed all the chalk marks off yet.  The light-colored thread is actually gold - not sure why it looks white in the picture.

Another storage container re-discovery:  my hexagon creations from Barb Vedder's Hex Vex pattern.

I'll be traveling for work in the near future, so I decided to cut as many hexie parts as possible to give me something to work on while away from home.  I need to find a small Ott lite so I can see my stitches in the hotel room at night.  True confession:  I've been working on cutting these parts and pieces longer than just the past week!

Last but not least, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for October is pink.  The re-organizing project kept me from digging out any pink scraps until yesterday.  I pulled some 2 inch strips to make squares and HSTs for some Windblown Wishes blocks, but I haven't had time to finish them.  I'm not finding a lot of pink scraps in my bins, so I may have to make some new scraps!

As you can imagine, all this Fabric Therapy was an antidote for stress this week.  Whenever a hurricane threatens the Gulf Coast, we all use our favorite coping mechanisms.  I'm glad Fabric Therapy works so well for me!  Hurricane Nate was pretty much a no-show for New Orleans, and although there was weather-related damage to other parts of the coast, it wasn't as bad as predicted.  I will be glad when hurricane season is over!

*The Spring Clean Quilt is a pattern by Brioni Greenburg in Issue 8 of Fat Quarterly Ezine.  

10 comments:

  1. I thought about you when I saw the weather predictions for Nate. I'm so glad that New Orleans did not get hit, and I hope other coastal areas are not suffering too much damage and loss. Thanks for letting all your followers know that you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tidying the studio IS a great stress buster - hurricane or life driven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew before this year that hurricane nesting was a thing. I am seeing it again and again though. So glad that the storm wasn't as bad as it could have been. I think we will all be waiting anxiously for the end of the season this year. Looks like you will be well prepared to take advantage of any bits of spare time coming up. Between organized strings and prepped handwork, you should be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I'm glad you escaped the hurricane and that all is well on that front. And I remember (with delight) your pink and green hexie project! It will be fun to see more progress on this. I love your wool pumpkin mat, too - so yummy. I used to travel often for work, too, and am glad those days are over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hard work looks very productive. And I totally agree about Nate, we dodged a bullet here in Pensacola and I’m ready for this season to be over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for the hexies! I just love your theme. Just got my halloween hexies out recently.
    charming pumpkin wool piece
    Glad you are okay and back to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got some lovely projects on the go there! those pumpkins are sooo cute...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hoping that you got missed by Nate. Too much hurricane activity this year. Glad you got organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad Nate skipped over you! I wish I could say you have inspired me to "clean up" my sewing room, but I know it is not in the cards until November. Too many weekend commitments! Love those hexie flamingos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There'll be thousands of folks grateful when hurricane season is over. It's amazing how quickly sewing area can become buried. Of course, I can speak from experience! Congrats on rediscovering some wonderful projects. Your wool mat is super cute and will be a perfect addition to fall.

    ReplyDelete