New Orleans House Project

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Prep Work in Blue

My blue Rainbow Scrap efforts this week have all involved prep work.  
With the design wall finally clear of other projects, I was able to lay out all the Sawtooth Star and 9-patch blocks for the blue and white quilt.  I made the blocks as a leader-ender project and randomly pulled 50 different fabrics to start.  The quilt is destined for the bed in our guest room, and I decided it needed more blocks to achieve the appropriate bed size.
I pulled some more blue fabrics from the stash and started cutting more parts & pieces.  My blue fabric stash (scraps & yardage) is pretty deep, in part because I made a blue and white signature quilt for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  I know there are several more blue scrap quilts in my future!
And here are all my block parts, organized for piecing.  I've got an additional 22 blocks ready to sew.  Even then, I'll be adding some borders to the quilt to get it to a decent bed size.  Lesson learned:  it takes a lot of 6" blocks to make a bed-sized quilt!

Since I didn't do much blue scrappy sewing this week, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been concocting with their blue scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.