New Orleans House Project

Friday, October 17, 2014

Memories in Plaids and Stripes

The memory quilts have come out to play again!
The last time I wrote about my memory quilt project, I had completed the center Carpenter's Wheel medallion for a 5th quilt.   In this picture, the Carpenter's Wheel is pinned on top of another completed memory quilt top, so I could see if I liked the result.  The next step was making more HSTs for another zig-zag border.
However, as I was digging through the bin of fabrics I had stashed for this project, I found another antique map fabric I knew would be perfect for this quilt!  

The fabric features a host of imaginative  nautical images, which will be great because this quilt and the next one will be for my nieces who live at the beach.
  
 I ripped apart the original Carpenter's Wheel block and remade it with the nautical map fabric.  I added the darker gold inner border last night.  The HSTs for the zig-zag border were already pieced and I got them pinned in place - now I just need to stitch them.  I have some sand dollar print fabric for the outer border and that will complete quilt #5!
One of my favorite pictures of my dad & me!  He would've celebrated 84 years this week.  It's good to have great family memories!






8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful pic of you and your dad - your eyes are just shining! It is good indeed to have such wonderful family memories. And you are creating even more wonderful memories with your gorgeous quilts! I'm impressed immensely that you took that Carpenters Wheel apart and remade it with those fabrics! I have to admit, they are fabulous and will make that quilt even more special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family memories are the best. Your memories quilts are wonderful. Love the old map fabric--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful picture of you and your dad! Love how you changed up the quilt to use such great fabrics with a theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nautical fabric is perfect. Glad you found just what you needed to make memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet picture of you and your dad! And that map fabric is wonderful / love the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that photo . . . and your changes to the quilt are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This rocks! Love the map fabric, but can't believe you had the patience to take it all apart and redo it, totally worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It totally works!! I love it. You have reminded me I need to get back to mine. All 4 are done, just need quilting.

    ReplyDelete