New Orleans House Project

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sunny Saturday

I can't believe I missed posting a scrappy yellow house for last week's Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  Dear Husband and I had undertaken a rather extensive painting challenge (photos soon) and the day slipped away before I knew it.  Happily, I already had a scrappy house ready for last week, so this week I have two houses to share!

The yellow floral fabric for this house has been in my stash for as long as I can remember.  There are only scraps of it left, so I thought a summery, flowery house would be a great way to preserve the last of the fabric.

In the same spirit - I love this bungalow-style home with its cheerful yellow color, Bahama shutters and tropical plants!

I was completely oblivious to the fact I had made two flowered houses until I took pictures of them this morning!  This fabric leans a little more toward gold, but still makes a happy, scrappy house.  The chimney scraps were left-overs from appliqued sunflowers.

I took this picture one January morning.  The sunlight doesn't do justice to the yellow color of the house, but I wanted a good example of this particular house style to share.  This is what is known locally as a "camelback".  It's a shotgun type house with a second floor set on the back of the house.

I also added a few yellow leader-ender spools to the growing collection.  There's not a lot of yellow in my scrap collection, so I may find myself reaching into the gold scraps before the month is over.

If you're of a mind to see more sunny yellow scrappy inspiration, do stop by Soscrappy and see all the links shared today.  I hope everyone has a stitchingly good Saturday!



12 comments:

  1. Love, love, love those flowery houses--sooo summery! Great use of yellow! Have fun this weekend..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you have some cute houses. And, thanks for the info on the houses. You know, I work with a lady that lived for a time in New Orleans and when she mentioned something one day about shotgun houses I had no clue whatsoever what she was talking about! It sounded like a dangerous place to live ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty house blocks. My son has a shot gun home in Marrero. The shot gun home are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to your postings. I know that I'll enjoy your sweet little fabric houses, plus I get to see the unique, lovely, colorful, architecture you've found around New Orleans. Not to mention the little lessons re: design.
    There's no way I could find colorful interesting houses like those in our boring city. (I'm yawning just thinking about the utilitarian, boring houses I see around here, by comparison.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great collection of houses again this week. I have never seen a camel back house before. So pretty! Hope your painting was a big success. It is easy to get carried away in the middle of a big project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never disappoint us! Love the yellow blocks and the beautiful homes in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your yellow houses! All four. I look forward to seeing your houses every week. I'm spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellow is my favorite color! When I buy my home, I want to paint it banana yellow with navy blue trim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - how funny is that "camel-back" house?!? I love it!!! And I love your flowered houses too. Flowers should have flowers all around on the outside, shouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should get an award from the city. Never in my life was I even slightly interested in visiting New Orleans. I now want to visit and stay and stay :)
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to have a cozy yellow house some day! Sweet little block.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't believe I just found your blog...I live in Amite, La. and I spend every Saturday at Mama's Quilt Shop in Independence. I love your blocks and your pictures of the wonderful houses of New Orleans. We are only an hour above NO and I love the architecture. I became your follower so I can keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete