New Orleans House Project

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Feathered Star Wall Hanging

I'm still experimenting with blogging from the iPad - trying to decide if I like it, or it's just too much trouble.

Feathered star quilts rank right up there as one of my favorite quilt styles. With so many varieties of stars, one could make a career out of playing with them - kind of like Marsha McCloskey (I really want to make that sunflower variation on her home page!)

This wall hanging was inspired by an early book by Marsha McCloskey, Christmas Quilts. I can't remember if I used Marsha's pattern for the entire quilt, or just for the feathered star. Regardless, I had a blast hand-piecing the star! I did the piecing during the summer, while waiting for my kids at swimming lessons.

After assembling the quilt, I knew I wanted to hand quilt it as well. The quilting was done that fall as I waited for my kids at soccer practice. For the border quilting, I just meandered around, using the lines of the flowers and tendrils for inspiration. I was able to enter the quilt in our local guild show the next year and was quite surprised to win a ribbon for hand quilting!
I've tweaked the color a little in this picture to show the quilting better. The quilt was made in the early 1990s and measures about 34 inches square. It lives with my mom in Florida.