New Orleans House Project

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Civil War Tribute BOM block 3

It feels a little strange to be posting about this BOM series, since it is now several years old and other Civil War BOMs have been published in the meantime.  OTOH, I'm really dedicated to keeping up with the block-a-month progress and blogging about my progress is a good incentive.  Without further ado, I give you block #3:  Twinkling Star.
This block is meant to memorialize the Battle of Shiloh, which occurred in April of 1862.  Shiloh was the bloodiest battle of the war up to that point, with almost 24,000 casualties.  One of the major outcomes of the battle was the realization, North & South, that the war would not be over quickly and without great loss of life.

I was not overly familiar with the Battle of Shiloh until I read Tony Horowitz' Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Confederates in the Attic.  His account of a memorial pilgrimage to Shiloh inspired me to want to visit the battlefield myself.  Haven't made it there yet, but I'm hopeful for this April.